We have been working our way through the first set of literary/rhetorical terms sheets and it is likely that we will have a test over the second half of those terms on Tuesday, Oct 12.
On Tuesday I announced the due date for the first reading of the thesis novel #1. Students should simply read (no note-taking) their first novel and have this reading completed by Friday, Oct. 15. They will then re-read the novel with specific directions for taking notes towards the essay that they will write about it. It is my expectation that students take me seriously when I say that they will read each novel twice. It is unrealistic to think that you can "get" a piece of literature on just one reading (even 2 readings isn't enough, but I am realistic about what students can accomplish...)
Today we took an AP Timed-Write test and I assigned a reading called "Good and Great Fiction", which is due on Thursday, Oct. 14.